Sunday, January 25, 2009

Commandments Cookies

I know that quality time with the family is vital to our happiness in this life and our families' salvation. Because of my testimony of the gospel and my love for Family Home Evening I continue to give you, my friends and family, ideas for your own FHEs. I hope these ideas help, and I pray that I'm not buggin' you with these nearly weekly ideas.

Keep the Commandments FHE


Explain to your kids what commandments are. They are things that our Heavenly Father has asked us to do because he loves us. He loves us so much that he wants to help us return to live with him someday. We keep the commandments so that we can become more like Him. Heavenly Father has given us commandments so that we can be happy.

Make cookies together as a family. However, leave out an ingrediant, for example, the flour. I chose flour because it will make an obvious error in the look of the cookies once baked. Bake one batch.

Discuss how the cookies didn't turn out. WHY? Because we left out one of the ingredients. The flour. Now add the flour and bake another batch.


The cookies now turned out yummy and delicious because we obeyed the instructions, AKA the commandments. Heavenly Father has given us commandments (instructions, AKA a recipe) so that we can be happy and become more like Him. Heavenly Father loves us and wants what is best for us.

Song ideas: Keep the commandments, and I'm Trying To Be Like Jesus. You could even play a game where the kids stand against one wall of the room and they draw a paper from a bag. Help them read the comment on it. They could have good and bad choices where they've kept the commandments or not. When they make good choices they take a step closer to a picture on the opposite wall of Christ. When they make bad choices (on the paper) they take a step back. The object of the game is to reach the Savior.

Have fun with it. I hope you like the idea. This is what we'll be doing tomorrow for our FHE.

5 comments:

The Ryan's said...

Hey there. I don't have your cell number. You can email it to me at steveandkristenryan@comcast.net if you want to. We love our van too. It wasn't the one we went to look at but it's just as good I thought. Now on to the next big purchase... the house hunt. YIKES! Hope you are all doing well.

Heather Inns said...

That is such cute idea. I will have to do it with Ryan to see what he thinks. Thanks!

Sarah Peterson said...

you are such a good mom! I loved the story about what Ellie said in Wal-Mart... hahaha!

Brandi Clark said...

what a cool idea. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Jill said...

Such great ideas!